The best New Year’s Eve celebrations for foodies
The setting of the grand Ritz-Carlton, Abu Dhabi makes for one extravagant night out. Head to Giornotte, the restaurant at the bottom of the grand staircase, for a New Year’s Eve buffet featuring tapas, ceviche, sushi, foie gras, an oyster and seafood bar, Arabic specialities and an array of main courses that will satisfy the most discerning diners. There be live entertainment, dancing and fireworks over the Grand Canal at midnight.
• From Dh850 per person. Children under the age of 4 eat free; Dh100 for 4- to 12-year-olds, and a 25 per cent discount for 13- to 16--year-olds. From 8pm to 1am, New Year’s Eve. For reservations, call 02 818 8282.
Splurge at the award-winning French restaurant Bord Eau at the Shangri-La Hotel this New Year’s Eve for a meal you won’t soon forget. The restaurant will offer a seven-course meal that is sure to impress. Highlights of the menu include fine de claire oysters, caviar, scallops, foie gras with pumpkin veloute, turbot with royal langoustines and black truffles, and dark chocolate extravaganza.
• From 7pm; Dh1,400 per person. Price includes access to the countdown party with fireworks, a live band and a DJ until late. For reservations, call 02 509 8555.
Be one of the first people to experience one of the most anticipated restaurant openings of the year in Abu Dhabi. Asia de Cuba, which hasn’t even officially opened yet, will host a New Year’s Eve party featuring signature dishes from its Asian Cuban fusion menu. Small plates include black bean and plantain empanadas, goat cheese fritters, shrimp churros, ropa vieja empanadas and chicken chicharrones. Mains include miso glazed black cod, Wagyu strip steak with crispy chipotle soy potatoes and seven spice roasted chicken with sweet plantains, black bean congri (black beans and rice) and shiitake. The evening comes complete with a beach deck party, DJ and front-row seats for the midnight fireworks display.
• At Nation Riviera Beach Club on the Corniche, the restaurant has a range of New Year’s dining options available starting at Dh550. For reservations, call 02 699 3333.
Cle Dubai, Chef Greg Malouf’s Lebanese eatery in DIFC, is one of the hottest new restaurants in Dubai and the perfect venue for NYE festivities. The restaurant will host a dinner service on New Year’s Eve – an exclusive experience that will include dishes such as Scottish lobster poached in preserved lemon butter and Persian style braised duck legs. The dinner comes with a ticket to the New Year’s Eve party where you can watch the Burj Khalifa fireworks from Cle Dubai’s terrace. Cirque Eloize will also be on hand to entertain the crowd.
• Dinner is from 7.30pm to 9pm; Dh2,000 for the set menu and New Year’s Eve party, inclusive of beverages. For reservations, call 04 352 5150.
We love the food at Table 9 by Darren Velvick. The chef and his team in this small restaurant in the Hilton Dubai Creek Hotel know how to serve up a memorable meal. Their NYE menu includes a selection of Velvick’s signature dishes including smoked duck with foie gras and dates, bass with curried cauliflower and almonds and lamb with goat’s cheese, courgettes and black olives. Expect the unexpected when it comes to how all of these ingredients are put together. Velvick plays with textures and tastes and will leave you wanting more. Afterwards, make your way up to the hotel’s rooftop bar for a stunning view of the fireworks.
• From 7pm to midnight, Dh895 per person. For reservations, call 04 212 7551.
For a luxurious evening, reserve a spot at Mint Leaf of London Dubai, complete with views of the midnight fireworks. The restaurant will feature a five-course feast of Indian cuisine. Signature dishes include the chilli, garlic and onion-seed lobster tail brochette and star anise-flavoured venison loin coated with 24-carat gold leaf. The location – on the 15th floor of the Emirates Financial Towers in DIFC – is a prime spot: guest will have views of the fireworks at the Burj Khalifa, Atlantis The Palm and Burj Al Arab hotel. Live music will help set the festive mood.
• From 9pm; Dh1,500 per person, inclusive of beverages. For reservations, call 04 706 0900.
Published: December 30, 2014 04:00 AM