Sarah Tanno from Marc Jacobs Beauty was the woman responsible for Lady Gaga’s gorgeous look for her Super Bowl LI performance earlier this month. The make-up artist says she took inspiration from the singer’s iconic looks in the past to create something new, but also wanted something that looked timeless. Here’s a breakdown of how she achieved this.
Tanno started by creating a natural-looking, flawless base.
• To prep the skin, a thin layer of MJB Under(cover) Perfecting Coconut Face Primer was applied, which helps soothe the skin, extends make-up wear and evens skin texture for a perfect canvas.
• To create depth, the make-up artist started by applying a small amount of MJB Re(Marc)able Full Cover Concealer in 3 Young to the high points of Gaga’s face, and then applied MJB Re(Marc)Able Full Cover Concealer in 7 Bright to the sculpting points.
• For an even complexion, Tanno used MJB Genius Gel Super-Charged Oil-Free Foundation in 44 Golden Medium, and finished by highlighting under her eyes and the bridge of her nose with MJB Remedy Concealer Pen in 6 After Hours.
• To set the face, Tanno applied MJB Perfection Powder – Featherweight Foundation in 360 Golden, and then created warmth and contours by dusting the MJB #Instamarc Light Filtering Contour Powder in Dream Filter 20 on her cheekbones and forehead.
• For the cheeks, MJB Air Blush Soft Glow Duo in 500 Lush & Libido were applied on the apples of Gaga’s cheeks for a soft rose colour that’s both feminine and appropriate for a performance.
Gaga’s shimmery eye look was created to complement her crystal mask for the beginning of the show, and her feminine ensemble for the latter half.
• Tanno started the look by applying MJB Twinkle Pop Stick eyeshadow in Au Revoir 406, as the base for a feminine yet bold shimmery eye.
• She then lined the eyes with MJB Highliner Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner in Violet Femme 82, and blended it into the base for a soft lavender effect.
• Next, Tanno applied the purple shade of the MJB About Last Night Style Eye Con No 20 Eyeshadow Palette to add depth to the crease of the eye, and then brightened the purple tones of the crease with MJB Style Eye Con No 7 Plush Eyeshadow Palette in The Tease 202.
• For brightness and luminosity around the eye, Tanno highlighted the brow bone with the lightest pink shade from MJB Style Eye Con No 7 Plush Eyeshadow Palette in The Lover 220.
• To add definition and outline to the eye, she then used the MJB Highliner Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner in Blacquer 42 all along the lash line to create a dramatic wing, and finished it with the MJB Magic Marc’er Precision Pen Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Blacquer to bring it to a sharp point and create Gaga’s iconic cat’s eye.
• Tanno proceeded to apply the MJB Highliner Matte Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner in Pink of Me 59 in the waterline to open the eyes
• Tanno finished Gaga’s eyes by adding multiple layers of her favourite MJB Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara to the top lashes and MJB Feather Noir Ultra-Skinny Lash Discovering Mascara to the bottom lashes for a dramatic look.
Tanno created perfectly groomed brows on Gaga in two steps: First, she applied the MJB Brow Wow Defining Longwear Eyebrow Pencil in Dark Brown 8 to fill in and create natural colour. Then, she brushed the brows into place with MJB Brow Tamer Grooming Gel, which keeps the brows put and well defined.
To set off the shimmery eyes, Tanno opted for an iconic red lip.
• She started by prepping the lips with MJB Lip Lock Moisture Balm to hydrate and moisturise, followed by the MJB Le Marc Lip Crème Lipstick in Dashing 206. After the first layer, she blotted, and then reapplied the same shade to create the perfect candy apple red lip.
• The look was finished off with a touch of MJB Enamored Hi-Shine Gloss Lip Lacquer Lip gloss in 332 Hot Hot Hot, a bright and shiny fuchsia shade.