Best UAE club nights this weekend: Ben Klock at Level 41 and Fat Joe at XL Beach Club
We’ve scoured the UAE and come up with our recommendations of the best club nights happening this weekend. From Fat Joe to Derrick May - UAE, you are nothing if not eclectic.
Plus Minus Sessions have had an incredible run since switching things up to Level 41 earlier in the year, but this might be the night’s biggest booking yet. German techno talent Ben Klock was recently voted the number four DJ of 2014 on scenester portal Resident Advisor. He's playing an epic four-hour set from 10pm until 2am – for thinking electronic music fans this is not to be missed.
• Tomorrow from 9pm at Level 41, Media One Hotel, Dubai Media City. Tickets Dh100 in advance from platinumlist.ae, Dh120 on the door
Fresh from ringing in a triumphant two years at the forefront of the UAE’s alternative scene last week, Analog Room weigh in with another major Detroit legend. Derrick May is a genuine techno forefather who, alongside best mate Kevin Saunderson, helped define the emerging-techno sound of the 1980s. A piece of music history.
• Tonight from 10pm at The Q Underground, Holiday Inn Al Barsha, Dubai. Dh75, ladies free before midnight
Pumping soulful house name Yass has been in the game for more than two decades, and is a regular at some of the world’s biggest clubs including Pacha in Ibiza, Ministry of Sound in London and LA’s Deep. Here he guests for the Sunstroke team as part of their new 360° Thursday residency.
• Tonight from 6pm at 360°, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Dubai. Free guest list from platinumlist.ae
Rotund rapper Fat Joe – no irony in the name here – gets on the mic for an up-close-and-personal slot at XL. Expect to hear hits Jealous Ones Still Envy, All or Nothing and The Elephant in the Room.
• Tonight from 10pm at Xl Beach Club, Habtoor Grand Beach Resort & Spa, Dubai. Tickets Dh350, booking enquiries on 056 640 6161
Hosting their second party of the season, hip alfresco club night Cause We Love House has put together a steaming bill of two German DJs with Ilario Alicante, of Cocoon Records, going head to head with Arado, who was booked to play the season opening in October.
• Tonight from 9pm at Bliss Lounge, Sheraton Jumeirah Beach Resort. Free entry
Jonas Rathsman and Isaac Tichauer
The ever-reliable Audio Tonic team have served up dozens of impressive international names over the past year, but this double act from the French Express label is the one the guys themselves are really looking forward to, with Rathsman buzzing after a recent BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix. “This is the gig I’m most excited about for 2014,” said founder Mike Bufton, also known as Mr Mr. “The French Express record label has always been pivotal for me and to have the guys behind it join us on the way to their Australian tour is an honour. This really is one appearance of Season IX you don’t want to miss.”
• Tomorrow from 4pm at 360°, Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Dubai. Free guest list from www.platinumlist.ae
Reggae BeachFest’s birthday
The floor-shaking Jamaican-themed party Reggae BeachFest celebrates a successful first year of events in Dubai and Abu Dhabi with another fun-loving poolside bash at XL.
Look out for a live set from reggae band Kingston 5, plus visiting Jamaican DJ Jerry Wonder and DJ Jus. Expect authentic Caribbean cuisine and a party atmosphere.
• Saturday from 2pm at XL Beach Club, Habtoor Grand Beach Resort & Spa, Dubai. Free before 6pm, Dh125 thereafter
An underground drum’n’bass name for around a decade, Fresh exploded into the mainstream with the one-two attack of UK chart toppers Louder and Hot Right Now, starring Rita Ora, in 2011 and 2012 respectively. Recent hits Earthquake and the Ms Dynamite-featuring Dibby Dibby Sound have both hit the UK Top 5, so Fresh remains pretty hot himself. Expect things to go off when he gets behind the decks at Zero Gravity.
• Tonight at Zero Gravity, SkyDive Dubai. Free for men before 10pm and ladies before midnight, Dh100 thereafter
UK bass name Skeptical, of Exit Records, guests for monthly underground night Something Big.
Look out for Marka, the huge online hit he co-produced alongside Dub Phizix, which has clocked three million YouTube hits and counting. The night also marks a new home for the promoters at Barsha club Kings.
• Tonight from 10pm at Kings Night Club, Armada Hotel, Barsha, Dubai. Dh100 on the door
Massive British house name Steve Lawler is known affectionately as “The King of Space” for his legendary sets at the Ibiza club. Here he tops the bill at Ghantoot beach club Blue Marlin, alongside the really not too shabby Nick Curly, a serious German talent, and a big enough name to headline in his own right.
• Tomorrow from 1pm at Blue Marlin Ibiza UAE, Ghantoot. Reservations on 056 113 3400 or email@example.com
Published: December 3, 2014 04:00 AM